Attractions

  • Museo Jorge Rando

    Address:
    Calle Cruz del Molinillo, 12, 29013 Málaga, Spain .

    The Museum Jorge Rando is the first expressionist museum in Málaga, Andalusia, Spain. Dedicated to the painter Jorge Rando, it collects his works and it temporally hosts the works of other national and international artists belonging to this movement. It was officially inaugurated on May 28, 2015. 

  • Port of Málaga

    Address:
    Málaga, Spain .

    The Port of Málaga is an international seaport located in the city of Málaga in southern Spain, on the Costa del Sol coast of the Mediterranean. It is the oldest continuously-operated port in Spain and one of the oldest in the Mediterranean. 

  • Museo Picasso Málaga

    Address:
    Palacio de Buenavista, C. San Agustín, 8, 29015 Málaga .

    The Museo Picasso Málaga is a museum in Málaga, Andalusia, Spain, the city where artist Pablo Ruiz Picasso was born. It opened in 2003 in the Buenavista Palace, and has 285 works donated by members of Picasso's family. In 2009, the Fundación Paul, Christine y Bernard Ruiz-Picasso that owned the collection merged with the Fundación Museo Picasso Málaga that operated the museum, which is based in the home on Málaga's Plaza de la Merced that was Picasso's birthplace, and is now the Museo Casa Natal. The new merged foundation is the "Fundación Museo Picasso Málaga. Legado Paul, Christine y Bernard Ruiz-Picasso".

  • Alcazaba

    Address:
    Alcazaba, C/ Alcazabilla, 2, 29012 Málaga, Spain .

    The Alcazaba is a palatial fortification in Málaga, Spain. It was built by the Hammudid dynasty in the early 11th century. It is the best-preserved alcazaba in Spain. Adjacent to the entrance of the Alcazaba are remnants of a Roman theatre dating to the 1st century BC, which are undergoing restoration. Some of the Roman-era materials were reused in the Moorish construction of the Alcazaba. The Alcazaba was connected by a walled corridor to the higher Castle of Gibralfaro. Ferdinand and Isabella captured Málaga from the Moors after the Siege of Málaga, one of the longest sieges in the Reconquista, and raised their standard at the "Torre del Homenaje" in the inner citadel. According to architect restorer, Leopoldo Torres Balbás, the Alcazaba of Málaga is the prototype of military architecture in the Taifa period, with its double walls and massive entry fortifications. Its only parallel is the castle of Krak des Chevaliers in Syria.

  • Catedral de la Encarnación de Málaga

    Address:
    Málaga Cathedral, C. Molina Lario, 9, 29015 Málaga, Spain .

    The Cathedral of Málaga is a Roman Catholic church in the city of Málaga in Andalusia in southern Spain. It is in the Renaissance architectural tradition. The cathedral is located within the limits defined by a now missing portion of the medieval Moorish walls, the remains of which surround the nearby Alcazaba and the Castle of Gibralfaro. It was constructed between 1528 and 1782, following the plans drawn by Diego de Siloe; its interior is also in Renaissance style

  • Teatro Romano de Málaga

    Address:
    Teatro Romano de Málaga, C/ Alcazabilla, s/n, 29015 Málaga, Spain .

    Málaga's Roman Theatre is one of the remaining symbols of Roman Hispania in the city. In addition to the theatre itself, it has a modern interpretation centre where new technologies present the life and customs of the time. The Theatre has also been returned to its original use and different types of shows take place inside.
     
    Discovered in 1951, it lay half-hidden for many years by the Casa de la Cultura (Culture House) building, built between 1940 to 1942 and renovated in the 1960s. It was during these works when the first signs of the Theatre were discovered and the Casa de Cultura was demolished to uncover and properly assess this theatre, which came to be a part of the cultural programmes of 1992.
     
    Excavations began by uncovering the proescenium, that is, the stage, remnants of the Orchestra, the place reserved for senators and the cavea. These stands have a 31-metre radius and reach a height of 16 metres; there are thirteen raised rows of seats and the entrances passageways, what is referred to as the  vomitorium.
     
    Built in the time of Augustus in the 1st century AD, it was in use until the 3rd century. Much of its construction material such as stones, columns and carved stones were later used for building the Alcazaba.
     
    The interpretation centre is decorated on the outside by original fragments of the Lex Flavia Malacitana (municipal code of law, which granted free-born persons the privileges of Roman citizenship), recovered in the excavations.

  • Ataranzanas Central Market

    Address:
    C. Atarazanas, 10, 29005 Málaga .

    The Atarazanas market is in the place where the Nasrid shipyards stood until the 14th Century and which, after the Christian conquest of the city, were used for storage and as an arsenal, military hospital and barracks.
     
    In 1868, the Revolutionary Council applied for their demolition to give work "to the poorer classes," although this did not take place until 1870. That year, the municipal architect Joaquín Rucoba won approval for a new market to be built on the site that, subsequently, was known as Alfonso XII Market.
     
    Thanks to the intercession of the Academia de Bellas Artes de San Telmo (San Telmo's Academy of Fine Arts), the ancient monumental door of the old shipyards was saved and transferred to the centre of the main façade of the new building, which, in an exercise in accordance with the pre-existing work, Rucoba designed in neo-Arab style, although using a great deal of glass and iron.
     
    This ensured that, although almost all of the old Muslim construction disappeared, Málaga was given a suitable and necessary market building and one of the city's best examples of 19th century architecture. The market opened its doors to the public in 1879. The building was renovated between 2008 and 2010, in order to recover its original design.

  • Playa de la Malagueta

    Address:
    Campos Elíseos, 29016 Málaga .

    Measuring 1200 m long and 45 m wide, La Malagueta is the beach located closest to the Port of Malaga to the east. It is one of the most visited beaches by the inhabitants of Malaga due to its links with the city and its easy access.

  • Archeological Sites of La Araña

    Address:
    C/ Escritor Aguirre, s/n Barriada de la Araña 29017 Málaga .

    The situation, the natural resources and good climate have made Málaga a place inhabited since prehistoric times. This can be seen in the archaeological sites named the Yacimientos Arqueológicos de la Araña (Parque Prehistórico de Málaga – Prehistoric Park of Málaga), where visitor can learn more about the Neanderthal times, the Neolithic and the Bronze Age. It consists of an Interpretation Center with copies and original parts of these sites and also caves that can be visited by appointment.

    Among the remains found in their caves and rock shelters in this centre, tools manufactured in stone from the lower Paleolithic, knives of silex and even remnants of food, especially products of the bay of Málaga as mussels, are exposed.

  • Centre Pompidou Málaga

    Address:
    Málagako Pompidou Zentroa, Pasaje Doctor Carrillo Casaux, 29016 Málaga, Spain .

    The center proposes all public to feel the experience of the Centre Pompidou through its wealthy collection, its excellent schedules, the mutual interference of artistic disciplines and its innovative mediation programs. Malaga, birthplace of Picasso and an international tourist destination place, positions the culture and the museums in the center of a new stage of its development


    The colection


    The exhibition presented by the permanent collection of the Centre Pompidou Malaga is divided into five topics: las metamorfosis, el cuerpo en pedazos, el cuerpo político, autorretratos, el hombre sin rostro (the metamorphosis, the body in pieces, the political body, self-portraits and the man without a face). They are extended pointing in two directions. It is an emblematic building and a unique cultural model.
     
    In Malaga, the Centre Pompidou will offer a permanent exhibition of several dozens of works of the impressionist collection of the Centre Pompidou in Paris, inviting the public to explore the art of the XX and XXI centuries. Some of the names in the first presentation of the collections, which exceeds the 90 pieces, suffice to highlight the importance of the project: Francis Bacon, Georg Baselitz, Constantin Brâncuși, Alexander Calder, Marc Chagall, Giorgio de Chirico, Max Ernst, Alberto Giacometti, Jean Hélion, Frida Kahlo, Fernand Léger, René Magritte, Joan Miró, Francis Picabia, Pablo Picasso, Antoni Tàpies, Jean Tinguely and Kees Van Dongen.
     
    Along with this permanent presence, two or three temporary exhibitions, either thematic or monographic, will be presented per year. These exhibitions will explore the different parts of the collection (photography, design, architecture, and video). This experience will be lived through multidisciplinary programs dedicated to the dance, the performance, the word and the cinema, helped by devices intended mostly for a younger audience.

  • Centro de Arte Contemporáneo de Málaga. (Málaga Centre for Contemporary Art)

    Address:
    CAC Malaga, C. Alemania, S/N, 29001 Málaga, Spain .

    The CAC Málaga is located in the old Málaga Wholesale Market, a historic building. The museum is intended for reflection on and dissemination of contemporary art. Exhibitions, publications, conferences, educational programs, workshops and seminars are some of the many activities that make CAC Málaga a living, dynamic and innovative centre, open to all kinds of artistic and cultural events in the international vanguard.
     

    The collection

    The permanent collection is constantly evolving. In addition to the new acquisitions by the City of Málaga, the institution's owner, the museum has introduced a loan system by which by private collectors can loan their works for a limited time.
     
    You can take a tour through artistic movements and trends of the 20th century, especially the most recent decades, from the '50s to today. Louise Bourgeois, Art & Language, Olafur Eliasson, Thomas Hirschhorn, Damien Hirst, Julian Opie, Thomas Ruff and Thomas Struth are some artists whose works hang in the Contemporary Art Centre of Málaga.
     

    The building

    The former Wholesale Market is a historic building designed in 1927 by Luis Gutiérrez Soto author of the 1930 Barajas airport. Built in 1939, the building has a two-storey, triangular floor plan, defined by cubic spaces and straight lines.
     
    In 1983 it was no longer used as a market and later it was proposed for use as a museum. In 1987, steps were taken to have the building declared of Cultural Interest. On completing the reforms in February 2003,  the building was opened to the public.
     
    There are 6,000 square metres of total area, of which 2,400 are given over to exhibits and the rest to conferences and other cultural events.

  • Collection of Saint Petersburg the Russian Museum, Málaga

    Address:
    Colección del Museo Ruso, Av de Sor Teresa Prat, 15, 29003 Málaga, Spain .

    By means of a hundred pieces dating from the period between the XV and

    XX centuries that are specially selected for Málaga, in addition to the works,

    each year two temporary exhibitions will be integrated. Agreement signed

    by Málaga City Council and the mother Museum in St. Petersburg, allows a

    permanent dialog between Russian artistic creation and visitors.

    The collection

    Works chosen for the first year cover from icons inspired by the Byzantine

    tradition to the socialist realism of the Soviet era: an impressive set of pieces

    ranging from the small size up to monumental pieces. These works bear

    witness to the rich Russian artistic legacy in the past few centuries, with

    worldwide and well-known names of the Russian and Soviet art, such as

    Repin, Kandinsky, Tatlin, Rodchenko o Chagall, until other authors that will

    be a discovery for visitors. Here these latter will also find a centre that, in

    addition, will offer two temporary exhibitions each year, with works selected

    from among the more than 400,000 ones that the State Russian Museum

    treasures in St. Petersburg.
     

    These works will be continuously enveloped by a non-stop and varied cultural

    offer by means of guided tours, film screenings and concerts that help

    to know the great wealth of the Russian art in the best way: from orthodox

    devotion that represent icons with a gold background, to the middle-class

    tradition of portrait or landscape, to the great upheavals of the cubist,

    cube-futuristic and constructivist avant-gardes, and to the social message

    of socialist realism. All the ups and downs of the Russian art will be present

    in the Collection of Russian Museum, St. Petersburg/ Málaga, which is the

    first stable and permanent relationship between a Russian museum and a

    Spanish city.
     

    The permanent exhibition of the Collection of the Russian Museum,

    St. Petersburg/Malaga is divided into nine thematic areas: the old

    Russian art, the XVIII century, Romanticism in Russia, Realism, Realism

    with Russian topics, the movement of “World of Art” and Neoprimitivism,

    the Avant-garde, Socialist Realism and art in the Melting

    Era that was experienced after the death of Stalin.

  • Plaza de Toros

    Address:
    Paseo Reding, 8, 29016 Málaga, Spain .

    Discover the world of bulls through stunning costumes, beautiful capes, photographs that have immortalized the fleeting moments in the ring, sculptures related to bullfighting and bullfighting posters where famous bullfighters fought brave bulls.
     

    The building:

    Located in the La Malagueta bullring since 1999, the museum has three rooms and an area of 225 square metres. It was designed and built in the late 19th century, although it was the seventh bullring to be built in the city. It was declared a Historic Artistic Monument in 1976.

  • Carmen Thyssen Museum Málaga

    Address:
    Plaza Carmen Thyssen, Calle Compañía, 29008 Málaga, Spain .

    The Carmen Thyssen Museum Málaga is the most comprehensive collection of 19th-century Andalusian painting in Spain. It is located in the Palacio de Villalón, a 16th-century palatial building located in the heart of Málaga. The permanent collection consists of 230 works that brilliantly summarise 19th-century Spanish art.
     

    The collection

    These works of the Carmen Thyssen Bornemisza Collection have been on display since March 2011. The works are mainly from the 19th and early 20th centuries. There are four different routes.
     
    Old Masters: housed in the former Palace chapel, are works of great masters of the 13th to the 17th century, such as Zurbarán or Ezquerra. The latter is the creator of an outstanding work that you can view in the museum: “Santa Marina”.
     
    Romantic Landscape and Costumbrismo displays how the way of capturing landscapes changed during romanticism. In these works, national and foreign authors recreate bullfighting traditions, gypsy themes, fiestas or architecture with a Morisco air.
     
    Précieux style and naturalist painting: the change in Spanish painting in the mid-19th century fills the works with colour and realism. The paintings are smaller, but have more detail, leaving aside romance to focus on reality.
     
    Fin-de-siècle: this section brings together major artists who were key figures in rethinking and modernising Spanish painting at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries. Sorolla, Casas and Iturrino share space with Zuloaga and Julio Romero de Torres, a Cordoban painter and creator of works like "Buenaventura", which can be seen at this museum.
     

    The building

    A stately 16th-century building, the Palacio de Villalón is the heart of the museum to which have been added new buildings making a fabulous ensemble for the gallery.
     
    As in other old buildings of Málaga, Roman remains were found in the subsoil during the refurbishment. In this building the pools for making Garum were discovered; Garum was product that Málaga exported to much of the Roman Empire. You will also see some Roman household rooms with figurative decorations.

  • Automobile Museum Málaga

    Address:
    Av de Sor Teresa Prat, 15, 29003 Málaga .

    A Unique Museum in the World! 
     

    The Automobile and Fashion Museum is located in an emblematic building from the City of Málaga, popularly known as “La Tabacalera”.  The Museum exposes an extraordinary private collection of 6,000 square meters, which describes the artistic and historical evolution since the end of the nineteenth century through 13 thematic rooms. A space that occupies a place in the Top Ten of Museums of Spain, and is the Nº1 in Tripadvisor ranking of "Things to do in Malaga". 
     

    Almost a hundred exclusive vehicles restored to the highest level, more than 200 Haute Couture pieces and Contemporary Art installations, where you can find a variety of emblematic brands such as Mercedes, Hispano Suiza, Bugatti, Bentley, Rolls-Royce or Ferrari. Upholstered in ostrich and mink fur, precious woods, Lalique mascot, mother-of-pearl dashboard, ivory and silver handles, and unpublished custom engines. 
     

    In addition, Maga Sublime Collection by Automobile and Fashion Museum shows the evolution of Haute Couture in the 20th Century through 7 exhibitions: "From Mariano Fortuny to Galliano", "Trilogy", "The Cocktail of the Forest", the wide collection of hats Vintage "From Balenciaga to Schiaparelli", "Fashion Victim", "Apotheosis" and "Too Much is never enough". 

    A waste of glamour and elegance.

  • Wine Museum

    Address:
    Pl. de los Viñeros, 1, 29008 Málaga .

    A space where the history, culture, art and educational aspects of the wines of Málaga Province are displayed. The museum features more than 400 lithographs (labels and posters from the 19th and 20th centuries), an Interpretation Centre, Tasting Room, Training Room and Shop. It popularises the culture of wines with "Málaga" and "Sierras de Málaga" denomination of origin.
     

    The collection

    The Wine Museum is owned by the Regulating Council of Denomination of Origin "Málaga", "Sierras de Málaga" and "Málaga Raisins" and aims to disseminate and promote all activities related to these names.
     
    To this end, it brings together in one place an exhibition area and shop where you can buy wines that you have tasted, as the entrance fee includes two tastings.
     
    On the ground floor you can see a wide collection of wine labels, whose illustrations in most cases are true works of art. On the upper floor, the tour continues with the vine, where you can learn about tools using in cultivating the plant and the care it needs.
     
     Málaga is a grape-growing paradise thanks to its climate, and the diversity of its terrain that makes it possible for the region to have two different denominations of origin.
     
    An essential part of the museum is the historical development of Málaga wine, where we can discover the international importance it came to acquire.
     
    Among others the story of how the Tsarina and Empress of Russia, Catherine II, exempted Málaga wines from paying taxes in her country because of their high quality.
     
    We can also learn about the "Golden Age", the phylloxera plague, the Regulatory Board and the Brotherhood of Vintners, a member of this guild that takes part in the Málaga Holy Week.
     
    An important part of the museum is dedicated to production where we learn about producing the must from the grape, see the machinery used in a winery, discover the solera wine-aging process, or in the final labelling and bottling phases.
     

    The building

    The Wine Museum is housed in the Biedmas Palace, located in the old Plaza Biedmas, now known as Plaza de los Viñeros. It is an 18th-century palace restored in 2008, coinciding with the 75th anniversary of the Regulatory Board and the Brotherhood of Vintners.
     
    The building occupies 800 square metres and, in addition to hosting the museum, it houses the Regulatory Board.
     
    The façade features typical Málaga locks and forged iron work abounds. During the last restoration,  a lateral annex of postmodern design was added.

  • Castillo de Gibralfaro

    Address:
    Camino de Gibralfaro, 11 .

    This Castle, built in the 14th. Century to house troops and protect the Alcazaba, is today one of the most visited monuments in Málaga. From its walls, visitors get spectacular views of the city and you can visit the Interpretation Centre to discover the site's history.
     
    It was named after a lighthouse at its peak (Jabal-Faruk, the light mountain). Although it was used by the Phoenicians and Romans, in 1340 the Nasrid King Yusuf I made the place into a fortress.
     
    During the reconquest (i.e. the Reconquista) it was besieged by the Catholic Monarchs in the summer of 1487 and Ferdinand the Catholic made it his temporary residence after the victory. In addition, he designated the castle as a symbol on the coat of arms of the city.
     
    It was considered the most impregnable fortress on the Iberian peninsula for a time. It has two lines of walls and eight towers. The outer wall meets the coracha, zigzagging walls arranged to link to the Alcazaba Castle. Inside you can walk around the whole perimeter of the fortress.
     
    The Castle is divided into two parts. The upper part is called the main courtyard and houses the Interpretation Centre where you can discover the history of the castle through the lives of its inhabitants. You will find the Main Tower (Torre Mayor), 17 metres high, the Phoenician well and the baths in this section. The Airón well was dug in solid rock to a depth of 40 meters.
     
    The lower part, or courtyard, held the troop barracks and stables. The watchtower or White Tower (Torre Blanca), facing the North East, is one of the most visible  ones and inside you will find a water tank, auxiliary buildings and storerooms.

  • Santa Ana Abbey

    Address:
    C. Abadía Sta. Ana, 5, 29015 Málaga .

    Better known as the Cistercian Abbey, it was built in 1878 by Jerónimo Cuervo and restored in 1990. The Church has a beautiful choir and tribune behind the chancel, an example of sacred convent art where the most obvious sign is its simple, bright façade topped by an original 18th Century statue of Santa Ana in terracotta.
     
    The artist Pedro de Mena was closely linked to the Abbey for several reasons, the first was simply because his home and workshop were in the neighbourhood. His home currently houses the Museo Revello de Toro (Revello de Toro Museum) and is almost opposite the convent, in the nearby Calle Afligidos..
     
    In addition, two of his daughters professed in the convent, taking the names of Andrea María de la Encarnación and Claudia Juana de la Asunción in 1671 and later, in 1676, another daughter, Juana, also became a novice when she was only eight .
     
    Even within the convent, his daughters continued their artistic endeavours. Perhaps because of all this, Mena asked to be buried in the abbey church and he was laid to rest there on 14 October 1688. Later on, when the original monastery was demolished, the bones of Pedro de Mena were moved to the Iglesia del Santo Cristo (Church of the Holy Christ) and there were forgotten until their rediscovery in 1996. They were again transferred to the Cistercians and buried at the entrance since, according to legend, the artist's wish was "that he should lay in a place where his remains could be trodden on by the faithful because of his humble person"

  • Santa María de la Victoria Basilica

    Address:
    Pl. Santuario, s/n, 29013 Málaga .

    This Basilica is located in the place where the Catholic Monarchs camped during the siege of Málaga during the Reconquest. It was originally a chapel and the church was built in the early 16th century. It was demolished because of its poor condition and rebuilt in 1700. The tower-shrine, a key piece of Spanish Baroque, was one of the first to be built in the country along similar lines to the one at Guadalupe.
     
    The temple  has a Latin-Cross design, elevated choir stalls and, between the pilasters, there are small balcony platforms that open to the central nave, typical of the Counter-Reformation period. Its central nave is wider and taller than the lateral ones to direct light to the chapels, the transept and the dome light space behind the altar.
     
    The annexes were demolished creating a wide square that was opened in 1998.
     
    For more information see the Museum City section on the Museum and the Santa Maria de la Victoria Basilica.

  • Parque de Málaga (Málaga's Park)

    Address:
    Paseo del Parque, 1 29015 Málaga .

    Located between the Alameda Principal and the Paseo de España, which runs parallel to Guadiaro Quay, the park extends from the Plaza de General Torrijos to Plaza de la Marina.

    It is made up of three walkways, each 800 metres long and ten metres wide; one is on the north side and the other two are to the south of the 25 metre-wide central thoroughfare for vehicles, a continuation of the Alameda Principal.

    It covers an area of 30,000 square metres if we count the rose garden surrounded by orange and cypress trees next to the City Council building and the gardens called Jardines de Puerta Oscura.